10-Rep Learning ~ Teague's Tech Treks

Learning Technology & Tech Observations by Dr. Helen Teague

By

Design Journal 5- The possibility of Soldering

If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin. ~Ivan Turgenev

One of the important things I’m from watching the other talented folks in the Maker Lab is that failing is not a scary event to be avoided. “Fail-fast” is a common phrase in this lab. “Fail-fast” encourages an iterative design approach with messy prototype design. “Try to push yourself to the ‘messy test’ in the fewest number of steps as soon as possible,” says Lyndell in the lab.

This is already happening for me. My initial idea of buying a Hallmark card and plopping it in the the fabric of my wearable fails because this method would require someone opening the card. My mom’s hands are sleepy so we need to have an automatic way for the sound to commence.

So, with a nod to Turgenev, I jump in order a sewable speaker ($0.95) and a voice recording board ($20.00). I am also geekily excited about the possibility of soldering* in the final stage of the project as one of the girls indicates is a possibility.

Teague Maker Lab 8

The blue box (my favorite color of blue, btw), is for soldering.

~~

Soldering: Soldering is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal (solder) into the joint, the filler metal having a lower melting point than the adjoining metal. Soldering differs from welding in that soldering does not involve melting the work pieces. (Wikapedia)

Other Design Lab Posts