Teague's Tech Treks - 10 Rep Learning

Learning Technology & Tech Observations by Dr. Helen Teague

By

Keynote on Creativity Trends in Education – Hyderabad, India

My Keynote at the International Symposium on Developing Schools Creatively in Hyderabad, India occurs later today!

The topic is Creativity Trends in Education.

Not in the vicinity? You can join the live tweeting at this hashtag #CCETrends

KeynoteHyderabad

View additional posts referencing the International Symposium on Developing Schools Creatively- click here

By

EDP Workshop at the International Symposium on Developing Schools Creatively

Posts referencing #CurieMeetsCassatt

By

International Symposium on Developing Schools Creatively ~Hyderabad, India

Excited to present a workshop for educators at the International Symposium on Developing Schools Creatively ~~ Come and Join Us!! Hyderabad, India ~~ July 19-20, 2019 Your predictions on the virtual meeting when ?

TitleSlideIndia

Posts referencing #CurieMeetsCassatt

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ July 6

Melville Quote design by Helen Teague

~~~

By

Happy July 4th!

This July 4th post features a quote from a true hero–Army Staff Sergeant David Bellavia, American Medal of Honor Recipient. Staff Sergeant Bellavia opened the New York Stock Exchange on July 3, 2019. Hero Bellavia said this in an interview following the opening of New York Stock Exchange:

“The flag is a representative, it’s symbolism of what this country is at its core, of men and women who’ve died.  It’s the last thing that we remember that’s literally laid over their remains. It’s a very solemn and it means a whole lot to us. It might not mean that to everyone else, but I care about the veterans. I care about the guys I served with and what that means to us. It’s very important to us and I guarantee you that we will show the honor and reverence that the flag has earned. We are soldiers for life, sir.” Army Staff Sergeant David Bellavia, American Medal of Honor Recipient. Speaking to interviewer David Asman. Staff Sergeant Bellavia opened the New York Stock Exchange on July 3, 2019. Sergeant Bellavia is the only living Iraq war veteran to receive the American Medal of Honor.

flagfireworks

By

My Summer Kindle Shelf: July

Moving my summer reading list to Kindle since the upcoming trip to India requires origami-style packing skills.

Here is my Kindle list so far… with 20+ hour fight(s) and also layovers, looks like I’ll also be using the Kindle Cloud Offline Reading feature.

Teague Kindle Shelf

Resources abound for #CurieMeetsCassatt –Read more posts at this link

What’s on Your Kindle Shelf?

By

Summer Reading List Videos from PBS Learning Media

Did you assign a summer reading list? Share these resource videos that can give your students an overview of a book that could be on their required summer reading list! These videos contextualize books in an up-to-date way that can help students understand the premise of the novels.   Explore the Collection at this link: https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/crash-course-literature/PBSLearningMediaSummerReadingVideos.png

#PBSReaders4Life

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ June 29

A Pefect Quote for Summer!

“The mind ought sometimes to be diverted that it may return to better thinking” ~Phaedrus
Phaedrus, written by Plato in 370BC, is a dialogue between Plato’s protagonist, Socrates, and Phaedrus, an interlocutor in several dialogues.

By

Poetry is Literacy too! Joy Harjo Named Poet Laureate

From the Library of Congress Email Digest:

Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden announced on June 19, 2019 that Joy Harjo had received the appointment of the nation’s 23rd Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry for 2019-2020. Harjo will take up her duties in the fall, opening the Library’s annual literary season on Sept. 19 with a reading of her work in the Coolidge Auditorium.

“What a tremendous honor it is to be named the U.S. Poet Laureate,” Harjo said. “I share this honor with ancestors and teachers who inspired in me a love of poetry, who taught that words are powerful and can make change when understanding appears impossible, and how time and timelessness can live together within a poem. I count among these ancestors and teachers my Muscogee Creek people, the librarians who opened so many doors for all of us, and the original poets of the indigenous tribal nations of these lands, who were joined by diverse peoples from nations all over the world to make this country and this country’s poetry.”

Read some of Harjo’s poetry at this link from the Poetry Foundation.

Harjo joins a long line of distinguished poets who have served in the position, including Juan Felipe Herrera, Charles Wright, Natasha Trethewey, Philip Levine, W.S. Merwin, Kay Ryan, Charles Simic, Donald Hall, Ted Kooser, Louise Glück, Billy Collins, Stanley Kunitz, Robert Pinsky, Robert Hass and Rita Dove.

Click here for more information.

Related Information: Hooray for Joy! The Library Has a New Poet Laureate

By

Poetry is Part of Literacy

Poetry is Part of Literacy and Lifelong Reading

Here’s is my current favorite poem

What Is Usual Is Not What Is Always

What is usual is not what is always.
As sometimes, in old age, hearing comes back.

Footsteps resume their clipped edges,
birds quiet for decades migrate back to the ear.

Where were they? By what route did they return?

A woman mute for years
forms one perfect sentence before she dies.

The bitter young man tires;
the aged one sitting now in his body is tender,
his face carries no regret for his choices.

What is usual is not what is always, the day says again.
It is all it can offer.

Not ungraspable hope, not the consolation of stories.
Only the reminder that there is exception.

~ Jane Hirschfield

What are your favorite poems? 

Skip to toolbar