10-Rep Learning ~ Teague's Tech Treks

Learning Technology & Tech Observations by Dr. Helen Teague

By

Design Journal 10: Keep Calm and Ohm On

NOTE: This post contains Science curricular tie-ins…read at your own learning acquisition risk!

Ω.

This is the symbol for Ohm.

Ohm references unit of electrical resistance, expressing the resistance in a circuit transmitting a current of one ampere when subjected to a potential difference of one volt. It is named after German Georg Simon Ohm who even has his own Law (Note: there is not a without-the-e typo in Georg–dude must have been too busy inventing ohms to add the last “e.”)

AAAANNNYYYWAy…..

Ohms are units of measure on Resistors.

Resistor Bands

I learned in the Maker Lab that my Voice Playback Integrated Wearable needs  the 56KOhm Resistor* so it can tell my Voice Recorder how many times per second to pull the microphone. The times per second is also known as the “sampling rate” which is the number of times a signal is measured (sampled) per second. The unit of sample rate is “samples per second.” This is often expressed in kiloHertz (kHz). For example, “CD quality” sound has a sample rate of 44 kHz. Source

I am making a digital recording, versus an analog recording because the code I am using will save the recording as a series of 1’s and 0’s.

~~~

Other Design Journal Posts

*thanks to Kim, in C19, for traveling to Micro Center in Tustin to pick up my 56K Ohm Resistors (price $1.95).

~~~

Other Design Lab Posts