Teague's Tech Treks

Learning Technology and other Tech Observations by Dr. Helen Teague

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ March 2

Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas. Marie Curie

Watch this short, interesting video on Marie Curie from PBS Learning Media

Learn more about physicist Marie Curie from Google Story

Search for the biographies of other scientists at LiveScience

~~~

More Weekend Ed. Quotes

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ March 8

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. ~ Physicist Marie Curie, 1867-1934

Happy International Women’s Day~~ Find Resources for this day at PBS Learning Media

Read more about physicist Marie Curie here at the Live Science website

~~~

More Weekend Ed. Quotes

By

Do standards help to empower teachers? (and if so, how?)

The Standards are just one granular component of our instructional pedagogy.

Educational technology has a two-pronged emphasis of tools and processes (Roblyer, 2016). The ISTE Standards described what comprises the technology curriculum focus. Another resource for standards-based instruction is the 6E Learning by DeSIGN Model. The 6E Learning by DeSign Model is a component module on the ITEEA – The International Technology and Engineering Educators Association. ITEEA is the professional organization for STEM educators. The 6E Learning by DeSign model describes how to instruct students in the technology curriculum standards. Using key words, the 6E Learning by DeSIGN Model can organize classroom instructional activities, not unlike the Bloom’s Taxonomy (1965). One of the words “Explore” caught my attention first. The descriptive words listed next to “Explore” are predict, experiment, observe, discover, record, retest, discuss.

As you read about them, which of the 6Es stands out to you? 

These words provide a framework for educators to plan and implement instruction without the restrictions of scripted instruction. Santaro (2018) writes a warning linking scripted instruction to low teacher morale. The Santaro resource is important to my learning. It also deepens our discussion forum conversations for three reasons: (1.) Santaro is very current (2.) it is teacher centered and (3.) it references a recurring complaint among teachers regarding scripted instruction. The teachers’ perceptions referenced in Santaro are reflective of what I see and hear when I am onsite in schools.

Scripted conversations and patient approaches are beneficial in medicine (Hamilton & Kroska, 2019). In early elementary reading instruction it has a mixed success affect(McIntyre, Rightmyer, & Petrosko, 2008). However the mantra given by some administrations that each teacher needs to be at the same place and curriculum pace at any arbitrary increment. This practice can be viewed as twisting standards to influence professional instructional practice. Teachers can lose their agency and become “conscientious objectors” (Santoro, 2018, p. 8).

References

6E Learning by DeSIGN Model. Retrieved from
https://www.iteea.org/STEMCenter/6ELearningbyDeSIGN.aspx
Bloom, B. S. (1956, 2010). “Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, Handbook I: The Cognitive Domain.”
New York: David McKay Co Inc.
ISTE Standards for Students (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/for-students
Hamilton, J., & Kroska, E. B. (2019). Distress predicts utilization of psychosocial health services in
oncology patients. Psycho‐oncology.

McIntyre, E., Rightmyer, E. C., & Petrosko, J. P. (2008). Scripted and non-scripted reading instructional
models: Effects on the phonics and reading achievement of first-grade struggling readers.
Reading & Writing Quarterly, 24(4), 377-407.
Roblyer, M.D. (2016). Introduction and background on integrating technology in education. Pearson.

Santoro, D. A. (2018). Demoralized: Why Teachers Leave the Profession They Love and How They Can
Stay. Harvard Education Press. 8 Story Street First Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138.

By

Happy National Read Across America Day!

National Read Across America Day is an annual event that is part of Read Across America, an initiative on reading that was created by the National Education Association.

Each year, National Read Across America Day is celebrated on March 2nd, the birthday of Dr. Seuss.  However, if it falls on a weekend, it is observed in the school systems on the school day closest to March 2nd.  This day is a motivational and awareness day, calling all children and youth in every community across the United States to celebrate reading.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Pick up an interesting book and read it.  More importantly, read with a child. Use #ReadAcrossAmericaDay or #DrSeussDay to post on social media.

Parents and educators, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom for ways to incorporate National Read Across America Day into your classroom.

HISTORY

The first National Read Across America Day was held on March 2, 1998.

By

Research-based support for doodling as an imprint for reading comprehension

BookClockResearch-based support for doodling as an imprint for reading comprehension

Encouraging students to journal and doodle while they read is an excellent way to strengthen comprehension (Durkin, 1978; Karten, 2017; Schott, 2011).

Research support new ways of applying what students do while they read with avenues for future instructional activities.

Journaling/Doodling/Mindmapping is a wonderful modification for students with dyslexia and/or ADD/ADHD, or those students whose reading fluency is slower.

One student in one of the high school classes I taught was very sensitive to activity, movement, changes in routine, and changes in voice. Taking notes required too much channeling of energy so we came up with the idea of doodling and mindmapping his notes. His parents were astounded at the transformation in his calmer energy level and ability to retain comprehend what he read.

Also, among the older adults I work with who have survived a stroke, doodling and visual representation of their thoughts has been described by them as “nurturing” and “like a vacation.” In addition to our course reasources, much additional research points to these same effects and I have cited three of my favorites. (Durkin, 1978; Karten, 2017; Schott, 2011).

So, build in some doodling time this week or at least before Spring Break!

#PBSReaders4Life

#PBSReaders4Life

References

Durkin, D. (1978). What classroom observations reveal about reading comprehension instruction. Center for the Study of Reading, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Available online at this link: https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/17858/ctrstreadtechrepv01978i00106_opt.pdf?sequence=1 

Karten, N. (2017). Doodle your way to improved focus and concentration. TechWell. Available online at this link:
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/17858/ctrstreadtechrepv01978i00106_opt.pdf?sequence=1

Schott, G.D. (2011). Doodling and the default network of the brain. The Lancett. VOLUME 378, ISSUE 9797P1133-1134. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61496-7

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ February 15

I never dreamed about success, I worked for it.” – Estee Lauder, Entrepreneur

~~~

More Weekend Ed. Quotes

By

Valentine’s Day Stories and Books~ Which is the All-time Best?

What’s the all-time best Valentine’s Book/Story?

For me, it’s Pride and Prejudice. Both PBS and Amazon Prime feature the best movie/mini-series version starring Colin Firth.

PBS even has background info on some of the salient narrative points. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/tag/pride-and-prejudice 

Here is a list of best Valentine’s stories for grade school kids: https://www.thoughtco.com/top-childrens-books-for-valentines-day-627613

Also, I found this list of “Sweet Stories for a Sweet Holiday”
https://www.weareteachers.com/childrens-books-to-celebrate-valentines-day/

Here is a list announcing books for children ages 1-18:
https://www.peanutblossom.com/blog/valentines-day-books/

Click here for some of the this blog’s previous Valentine’s Day posts.

What’s your favorite Valentine’s Day book?

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ February 8th

“Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one’s self-esteem.”  ~Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor, State University of New York, (b. 1920- d. 2012)

~~~

More Weekend Ed. Quotes

By

Weekend Ed. Quote ~ February 1

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. ~Mary Oliver

~~~

More Weekend Ed. Quotes

By

Remembering Poet Mary Oliver

A sad ending as January turns to February. Mary Oliver, poet of exquisite detail and reverence for nature, died on January 17. For over five decades Mary Oliver’s poems served as snapshots of the natural landscapes and rhythms of life.

Take a minute, or two, or two hundred, and nurture yourself with Mary Oliver’s poems.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”

“Said the river: imagine everything you can imagine, then keep on going.”

“The most regretful people on earth are those who felt the call to creative work, who felt their own creative power restive and uprising, and gave to it neither power nor time.”

“Ten times a day something happens to me like this – some strengthening throb of amazement – some good sweet empathic ping and swell. This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.”

“You must not ever stop being whimsical. And you must not, ever, give anyone else the responsibility for your life.”

“Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.”

“To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work.”

“When it’s over, I want to say: all my life

I was a bride married to amazement.

I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don’t want to wonder

if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don’t want to find myself sighing and frightened, or full of argument.

I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world.”

Previous posts referencing Mary Oliver from this blog

Skip to toolbar